Ferrero Increases Its Transparency of Cocoa Supply Chain
The Ferrero Group is proud to disclose for the first time its tier-1 suppliers and all cocoa farmer groups from which it sourced cocoa and chocolate during the 2019/2020 season. This disclosure is now possible due to Ferrero’s effort to improve transparency across its cocoa supply chain, aiming to source all cocoa from dedicated farmer groups through supply chains that are fully traceable to the farm level. The Ferrero Group is committed to sharing updates on its cocoa farmer groups list regularly from now on.
As part of our Ferrero Farming Values Programme, we are committed to supporting and improving cocoa farming sustainability to have a positive and lasting impact on cocoa farming families, their communities and the environment. We must deliver on our promise to consumers to provide products of the highest quality ingredients and freshness produced responsibly. Ferrero ensures that:
- We source 100% certified cocoa verified by independently managed schemes such as Rainforest Alliance, Fairtrade, and Cocoa Horizons.
- More than 90% of our total cocoa volume is sourced from the dedicated farmer groups we support through the Ferrero Farming Values Cocoa Programme.
- We mainly source cocoa beans and process these in our own Ferrero plants. This requires specific know-how and is a distinctive feature of Ferrero’s quality promise. Also, Ferrero sources these beans as physically traceable - meaning we know where our beans come from and that there is a direct link between the cocoa farmers that supply us, and the cocoa used in our products.
- We use technology to map farms and sourcing areas so that we know their location, size and productivity, as well as monitor deforestation risks.
- We support the local farmers with our sustainability programme, which focuses on three areas: improving the livelihoods of farmers and communities, protecting children’s rights and safeguarding the natural capital.
We invite you to read more about our cocoa sustainability programme: